Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Haley's Big Girl Room

We're probably at least a year away from transitioning Haley to her Big Girl room, but I've already started scheming.  I find inspiration in a variety of places - namely the internet and magazines.  I'm a big believer in DIY, so there is plenty on our future To-Do list; including building some furniture. 

When Haley was born my office gifted us with a really awesome mini duvet from Land of Nod and it's the centerpiece for my room design.  I have no idea who in the office is responsible for selecting baby gifts, but they hit a home run - the colors are fantastic!

We already own the polka dot chair and mini toy box, both in a soft green.  The artwork is a combo of DIY and Etsy purchases.  I have a looooong list (and continuing to grow) of favorite Etsy vendors and could very easily plaster every wall in my home with unique, personalized art.  I adore the idea of a wall full of different pieces of artwork - needlepoint, photography, prints, etc.  Haley already has several pieces of art in her current room that will most definitely make the transition to her 'new' room. 

As for the furniture building - there is an amazing website (ana-white.com) with free carpentry plans.  The pieces are reproductions from Pottery Barn, West Elm and Crate and Barrel.  Even better, the plans are easy!  I think Karl and I can handle a bookshelf and a daybed...

Even though Haley is young, I don't want her room to feel too infantile.  I'm seeking the perfect mix of little girl and eclectic and unique and homey...something she can grow in to. 

No comments: